I finished my Princess Eilonwy costume just in time for Ayacon with only hours to go! Unfortunately, leaving it until the last minute (and concentrating too much on Tiny Tina) meant I wasn't able to make this as perfect as I wanted.
This is made of navy velvet with a red satin trim. I drafted the pattern myself and had to make quite a few adjustments as I wasn't quite happy with the neckline. I bought a closed ended zip as I had intended to make this in a different way than I did and actually needed an open ended zip. I just used the one I had meaning I had to put the bodice on over my head. This meant I couldn't make it as fitted as I'd like. Before I rewear this I will definately be putting in a new zip and tightening the fit. You can see how loose it is in the photos.
Once again I drafted the skirt from scratch as its a simple A-line shape. The fabric is duchess satin in a dusky pink and a pale pink. I originally lined the skirt in a poly satin, unfortunately the fabric was warped and didn't work so I ended up buying regular dress lining which worked fine (the day before Ayacon!). I had to line the skirt because I needed the weight and didn't want the skirt to be too floaty. There is a small zip in the side but I didn't have time to put on a waistband (can't believe I didn't make time to do this) so I just overlocked the edge. This will definately be done for the next time I wear this as the skirt didn't sit in the right place on my waist without the band.
Diadem & Wig
I really wasn't sure how I was going to make this. I went through some ideas in my mind but was never happy. On a trip to the fabric shop I was looking around at all the bits and bobs and spotted an embroidery hoop. Lightbulb! I found a size that would fit arund my head comfortably and bought some gorgeous black velvet to cover it with. This was done by pinning the strip of fabric around the hoop and then sewing it together in a long tube shape. I cut a split into the hoop to allow me to slide the fabric on. I then glued the split closed and stitched the ends of the fabric over it. This was then sewn to the wig so it wouldn't move. The wig is from Wig Fashion on eBay, I didn't have to do much to it thankfully; all I did was cut a bit of a fringe in.
The following photos were shot by Redkun. Reference images for this costume are available here if you'd like to make this dress yourself.